Daudet, "The Last Class" (was Respects to Joey Ramone, but...)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 9 08:48:15 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> [clip]
> >
> >I can't imagine such a story being written by an American.
> >
> >Carrol
>
> The French author to whom you refer is Alphonse Daudet (1840-1897).
> The short story in question -- "The Last Class: The Story of a Little
> Alsatian" -- is available at <http://www.bartleby.com/313/4/2.html>.

Though in a tone of triumph rather than pathos, there is one "American Story" that parallels the feeling of Daudet's -- or rather film: The Birth of a Nation. No one else, so far as I know, has attempted to capture in art the "essence" of national identity.

I really think Americans are better off if they refuse to claim a "national" culture. We are a collection with no essence.

Carrol