microsoft frontpage 2002 license agreement

Matthew Snyder matthew at pobox.com
Wed Jan 9 12:07:31 PST 2002

ravi writes:
> some of you might find this amusing/annoying:
>
> here's text from the microsoft licensing product use rights:
> http://www.utexas.edu/cc/sds/products/mspur7-01.pdf

> Restrictions. You may not edit or modify the Software in any manner

Thankfully, this sort of restriction (from a legal standpoint) is unenforceable. Licenses cannot be forced on a user who has already paid for the software in question. If I want to modify my copy of Microsoft Frontpage, and I've legally acquired the software, I'm fully within my rights to do so, regardless of what Microsoft says.

See: http://cr.yp.to/softwarelaw.html for a not-quite-up-to-date reference. A Federal judge a few weeks (months?) ago held up the unenforceablility of software licenses.

Matthew