Negri on Globo

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 9 15:05:11 PST 2002

Ian teased:

- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Archer" <todda39 at hotmail.com>

>>Under capitalism there are basically two classes: capitalists and
>>proletariats. The former owns the means of production (and
>appropriates the
>>latters labour power), the latter does not. It's entirely possible
>for a
>>member of the proletariat to join the ranks of the capitalists:
>that's one
>>improvement over the Middle Ages, during which a non-noble could
>not, in
>>theory at least, become a noble by dint of his own effort. The
>>title/ascension had to be given to him by other nobles. Now, how
>>powerful/wealthy a capitalist you are depends on how much capital
>you have.

>1 Adam 12 see the reductionism in the first sentence. :-)

What, "basically" is a term of reductionism? I agree that covers only the surface of the observation, but I didn't and don't have time to write a whole paper on the topic, and my writing/explanatory skills aren't so finely honed as to allow me to make a pithy, exact statement. There are gradations of capitalists and proles, too.

Todd