manna for conspiracists

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Wed Jan 9 16:08:32 PST 2002

That knee jerked again, lodging foot in mouth in a way that will prove increasingly embarassing to its owner.

O'Neill was deeply in debt, his high-flying lifestyle exceeding his FBI income. He hobnobbed with the high an mighty but apparently insisted on picking up his own tabs, which he obviously couldn't afford. The lucrative WTC job offer came at a time when he was getting nowhere at the FBI either in terms of the ObL investigation or promotion-wise, for which he was passed up. The reason he was passed up is the briefcase incident, which has all the hallmarks of a setup. Maybe not, maybe it was just luck that the case got stolen from a conference room during O'Neill's momentary absence, and later turned up with its top secret, extremely sensitive contents intact. In any case, even O'Neill's boss Mawn agrees that leaking the incident to the press was a DC job intended to harm O'Neill, especially considering the FBI has still to account for a large number of missing laptops containing sensitive info. So O'Neill took the WTC job. I haven't been able to discover who arranged the job but can anyone say it's unlikely O'Neill was being set up?

Source: http://www.nymag.com/page.cfm?page_id=5513&position=1

Hakki