Patriotic pitches wearing thin

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Jan 9 16:46:28 PST 2002

"Seth Ackerman" <sia at nyc.rr.com>
> >Patriotic pitches wearing thin
> >Jennifer Harper
> >THE WASHINGTON TIMES
> >
> >Americans still love their flag, but they've just about had it with
> >>patriotic-themed advertising. A new Adweek poll has found that
> >three->quarters of the respondents felt that "patriotic ads have
> >overstayed >their welcome."

Carl Remick:
> Best news I've heard in ages -- provides fast, fast, fast relief!

Today's _New_York_Post_ complained extensively that sidewalk vendors, by using "9/11" and "Ground Zero" as sales opportunities for "unauthorized" NYPD and NYFD hats and the like, were _desecrating_ the event and the site (where a platform has been erected so that gawkers can watch the ongoing excavation, which from time to time exhumes bodies and body parts of victims). I take it they hold that the sacredness of the event and the site belong to the commercial and political interests of _The_New_York_Post_, and they have certainly flogged them long and hard. I envisioned writing the _Post_ a nasty latter about it; but there is no stick ugly enough to beat them with, so I won't.

-- Gordon