Who is a worker nowadays?

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Wed Jan 9 17:17:07 PST 2002

I hope we can get this question straightened out; it's been bothering me ever since I joined this list.

I get the impression that for some list members, one is not a worker if one earns above a certain, vaguely defined amount. Thus, a waitress is a worker, while an engineer isn't.

Yet, I've never considered myself anything but a worker. I've never had anything to sell for wages but my labor. And that is confused a little because technically I was a salaryman, rather than a wage earner, but to me that was nothing but a legalistic distinction.

So, am I worker or am I not?

-- John K. Taber