Negri on globo

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jan 9 19:49:08 PST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Ian Murray wrote:

> regarding class analyses, no? So my question still stands; given
> todays laws and social relations of production, to what extent can we
> call the people who showed up at the Enron hearings [as
> representatives of workers who own revenue yielding assets in the MOP,
> however small in quantity in actuality]capitalists? More substantively
> are they exploiters, exploited, or both or neither?

Oh, they're exploited all right. The means-of-production argument shouldn't be taken too literally -- Marx had the extended reproductive capacity of the society in mind, not whether a few workers own a couple milling-machines or even an entire factory here or there. The MOER (means-of-extended-reproduction) is in the hands of the market forces, which have been global since the 17th century or so; Marx was just the first thinker to point out the fact.

As to what a global uprising against the market would look like -- ah, that *is* the central task for the artists of the 21st century.

-- Dennis