Some (Possibly) Clarifying Questions , was Re: Who is a capitalist. . . .

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 10 12:43:17 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> John K. Taber wrote:
>
> [clip]
> But the capital stock of the U.S. is mostly owned by the likes of
> IBM, and not small plastics plants in Tennessee. Does that means that
> the means of production aren't really under capitalist control?

Two simple yes or no questions, and I think it's useful to answer them as a framework for this discussion.

Do you, Doug Henwood, believe that a capitalist class exists?

And if it exists, is it a ruling class?

Carrol

Another question which I would not expect a simple yes/no answer on would still be of some interest, and a _relatively_ simple answer to it might clarify other topics:

Is the indefinite continuation of a capitalist class consistent with the long-run safety and/or well-being of the human species?