Edward Herman replies to Christopher Hitchens

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Fri Jan 11 19:22:34 PST 2002

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20020128&s=letter#reply?i=20 020128&s=letter Hitchens replies Washington, D.C. I'm happy to let readers decide for themselves about my ideological character. But I don't mind having it said that I favor physical force against fascism, and even relish it. And I think Hobhouse is a dubious source for determining that liberalism equals pacifism. Whether Herman is a pacifist or not I neither know nor care: that he isn't an ally in battles against fascism is already notorious. Shortly after September 11 he wrote that the attack on the World Trade Center was reminiscent of the methods employed by NATO to get Milosevic out of Kosovo. Now his dismal search for moral equivalence leads him to find serendipity in the apparent symmetry of casualty figures. Well it now looks as if--supposing his Afghan civilian numbers to be correct--there have been more people killed in Afghanistan than in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania combined. So perhaps his crass utilitarianism will lead him to announce that the coalition's counterstroke against the Taliban and Al Qaeda is not merely as bad as, but actually worse than, the September 11 aggression. I, however, will continue to presume that it is obvious that those murdered in America on that day were not "collateral damage." Their murders were the direct object of the "operation." By contrast, we have had repeated and confirmed reports of frustration on the part of American targeters in Afghanistan, frequently denied permission to open fire because of legal constraints imposed by the Pentagon. This is actually a tribute to the work of the antiwar movement over the years; it seems paltry in more than one way to be sneering at it. Since every member of Al Qaeda has to be counted as a potential suicide bomber, and since their Taliban protectors had created vast hunger and misery in Afghanistan, the true humanitarian cost of finding and killing them cannot be reckoned in Herman's simple arithmetic. Nor can his outdated and arcane citations alter the fact that aid of all kinds is now reaching those who most need it. The necessary condition for that was always a short and hard-fought war. Unless of course, for "humanitarian" reasons, one was prepared to leave the Taliban/Al Qaeda regime in place. I would not direct such a slur against Herman, even though I can't help noticing that General Galtieri, trainer of the contras, might still be in possession of both Argentina and the Malvinas if Herman's counsel had been heeded. The chances of that, however, have grown slimmer over the years and are now approaching the nonexistent. Finally, when I spoke in Chicago I said that the war against Islamic fascism had been going on for some time before the Bush family joined in, that it involved and involves a confrontation with the oligarchies of Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, and that it was therefore more a question of whether he should be allowed to join our (not "my") war. Herman misses the point and the joke, and I would put this down to his customary sloppiness if it wasn't that, in his other misrepresentations of my published views on Ashcroftism, he seems to be actuated by malice as well. CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS (See below for additional comments from Hitchens.) FURTHER COMMENTS FROM HITCHENS Washington, D.C. Readers of the website may not know that I generally don't reply to critical letters printed in the magazine. This is because I already have a whole twice-monthly page in The Nation, and think that the limited letters-space ought to be reserved for the readers. However, I do sometimes reply if I am directly slandered or misrepresented, and such is the case with what Herman says about me and the Guardian. The facts are these: while writing a column last fall I was shown a highly anti-American speech that had, I was told, been delivered by Harold Pinter the day after the 11 September attacks. I made a disobliging reference to Sir Harold in my piece, and then discovered before the deadline that the speech had actually been delivered the day before. So I telephoned the editors, asked them to remove the reference, and was assured that this would be done. However, a second reference lower down was mistakenly left in. So I wrote myself to apologise to Sir Harold, as did the editors, and wrote a letter of explanation which The Guardian duly published, along with another apology of their own. Excision of the second reference would also have removed my reference to John Pilger, to whom, for his consistently disgraceful and misleading coverage of the post-September events, I made, and make, no apology at all. Herman can only say what he says if he was following the paper that week. But, if he was reading the Guardian with any care, he must know that what he asserts is false. Again, one can't be sure whether this is the consequence of incompetence or ill-will. But then, with him, one never can. What I said on BBC Newsnight was that in the protected Kurdish autonomous areas of Iraq there is neither famine nor repression, and what I said the same week in The Nation was that this rescue operation might supply a model for Afghanistan (which it since has done). I make no apology for that, either. I have little patience with those who attribute the deaths in Iraq solely to Western policy: no children of army officers or Ba'ath Party officials are among the dead, either. Of course there are alternatives, as always. Saddam Hussein could be allowed to claim credit for getting sanctions lifted, and press on with his program of preparing for mass destruction of Kurds and others, including ourselves. Or, regarding sanctions as unduly indiscriminate, it could be decided to remove him by means of a preventive war. I can only imagine how upset Herman would be if that happened: he is still (in his spare time) in deep mourning for Slobodan Milosevic. The friends of Galtieri, Saddam Hussein, Mullah Omar and Milosevic make unconvincing defenders of humanitarian values, and it can be seen that their inept and sometimes inane arguments lack either the principles or the seriousness that are required in such debates. CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS