Science, Science & Marxism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 11 22:24:11 PST 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> > Carrol and I have bonked heads many a time about
> whether Marx was wrong to dery any prognostication at all in the form of
> building models of a postcapitalist society (C says yes, I say no),

Occasionally Justin's fingers are not in perfect harmony with his intentions. :-) And here I think he got tangled in his negatives. C says no, Marx was not wrong to deny [decry?] prognostication; J says yes, Marx was wrong to do so.

And if Justin meant "decry" rather than "deny," he has his negatives in harmony.

The "deny-decry" choice shows why the life of textual critics can he an onerous one. See Timpanaro for the argument that such slips are better explained by philology than by psychoanalysis.

Carrol

but we