Free Education in Afghanistan

Hakki Alacakaptan nucleus at superonline.com
Sat Jan 12 03:01:30 PST 2002

As I wrote earlier, Kemal Ataturk, republican Turkey's secular founder, took a vivid interest in Afghanistan even while the Turkish war of liberation was in progress. Turkish officers and teaching staff were sent there, and they even set up a music academy. Ataturk was not only motivated by a wish to bolster the secular Afghan royalty but was acting partly as a Soviet proxy. Yessir, Turkey's war of liberation owes its success to Red Army guns and Soviet rubles.

Kabul U suffered during the CIA's jihad but what really killed it off was Saudi- and ISI-supported fundamentalist warlord Gulbuddin Hikmatyar's shelling of Kabul which left 25 K dead and 100 K wounded. Hekmatyar is a Kabul U alum and ObL buddy, and infamous for throwing acid at women .

Hakki

NOTE: You'll see on the page below there are 2 other universities and a polytechnic.

http://www.afghan-info.com/Kabul/KABUNIVR.HTM Kabul University

Short History Kabul University is the only largest educational institution in Afghanistan. Kabul University established in 1932, its campus is located in eastern part of the city in Kote Sangee. At the beginning it included the school of medicine supported by French and Turkish professors. A number of schools (Faculty) such as faculty of law and political science (1938), natural science (1941), economy (1957), agriculture (1962), education (1962), engineering (1963), and pharmacy (1963) were established gradually under its administration. The University was inaugurated officially in 1946. In this year the Kabul University president and a Scientific Committee in its administration appointed by Ministry of Education. In 1965, Kabul University became an independent institution with an elected president by Primer Minister. Kabul Polytechnic Institute was established in 1968 as separate technical institution in Kabul in 1968. Kabul University's departments of agriculture, education, and engineering were affiliated with American universities; law and political science supported by French government. The same, the economy and science faculty were supported by German educational institutions. The faculty of theology established its relations with al-Azhar University of Egypt. Outstanding students and graduates of Kabul University got fellowships every year to continue their studies at the affiliated institutions in foreign countries.

In the 1960s, Kabul University became a center of political movement and a training ground for cadres of the entire political spectrum in the country. About half the student body lived in dormitories on campus. The leadership of the Islamist, Leftists, and nationalist parties emerged from its campus, where they would hone their oratorical skills and engage in verbal and often physical violence. Therefore, the Afghan government in 1968 banned political activities on campus. In 1976 the number of students in this establishment was 8500 people and , in 1990, is said to be composed seventy percent of women [I did a double-take there HA]. of 800 teachers in the 1970s only 350 remained in the late 1980s because of Civil War in the country.Politics has interfered in admissions and academic polices after events of 1978. In 980s, the High Education Ministry established within the Cabinet of Ministry and Kabul University became under its administration. President Njibullah proclaimed a "new educational policy" in 1990 which dispensed with much of the previous radical governments innovations.

Kabul University partly has been closed since the Mujaheedin took over of Kabul power in 1992. The Kabul University campus became a stronghold of many groups. Due to the heavy fighting among various Mujaheedin groups Kabul University totally damaged and most of buildings were burned. Like Kabul Polytechnic Institute, its equipment and furniture were stolen. The Taliban regime totally has closed this university since 1996. Some researches are under way for rehabilitation of Kabul University. A group of engineers from Society of Afghan Engineers in the USA visited Kabul University in 1996 to find the solution for reestablishment of this university. Unfortunately, the political situation in the country gives little possibilities to help the rehabilitation of this university.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0112/02/world/world2.html Kabul university admits women http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1681000/1681896.stm Kabul studies uncertain future http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1681000/1681896.stm The Virginia Theological University operated Kabul U under Rabbani http://www.vtu.edu/kabul_introduction.asp