Science, Science & Marxism

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 12 07:39:56 PST 2002

>Well there's always Doug's take/spoof on the
>matter; 'truth is what makes you money'! :-)

Thus William James talks about the "cah value" of a theory as the difference it will make it practice (no joke).

>Seriously though, those 'better' theories, while
>having lots of applications in 'disciplines' other
>than political economy, have yet to infiltrate and
>gnaw away at a whole host of issues important to
>lefties.

The examples you wave at--Madison, neoclassical financial systems theory, etc. arent theories of truth. But maybe yiy think our theoretical work out to be more practical.

>I agree with your last post regarding objective
>conditions, but they, in turn, are the
>'sedimentations' of theories--I'm thinking of Paul
>Churchland's quips in SR&TPoM about the theories
>that 'got there first.' Keynes 'slave of some
>defunct economist' and all that.

Well, theory matters, I agree.

We
>wouldn't be on this list arguing and discussing
>this stuff if we were fatalists and I think that's
>what Greg's getting at and what Habermas was
>getting at a few years ago when he said we need to
>forward even as we pick and choose from the best

Yes, certainly

jks.

jks