Science, Science & Marxism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Jan 12 14:52:41 PST 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Greg Schofield wrote:

[much snipped]
> What I would really like is a thread, even an entire list, to work
> together just based on the common asssumption that HM is an ontology
> which needs to be explicitly explored - the questions at this point
> remain theoretical but are far more concretely so.

Greg has a lot on his mind, he's relatively gracious about sharing his ideas, so I felt compelled to respond to a bit of it at least. I agree with Justin that this type of "ontological exploration" is not imperative or strategically useful. Now, if this approach works in your neck of the woods, well and good. I get much better traction talking about girls in Bangladesh earning ten cents an hour making university caps that sell for 18.00 in the U. S. Do we really need hyper-sophisticated philosophy to emphasize the point that capitalism is neither necessary nor just? "Capitalism sucks, and we can do better"--in terms of praxis and consciousness raising, perhaps we don't really need much more than that.

Miles