Britain's rail meltdown

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 13 17:35:35 PST 2002

--- Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote: >
> Because the public want them.
>
> Apparently they don't want them enough to want to
> pay for them.

Just like health care, education, welfare. Apparently we're not willing to pay for those either. THEY tell us so, and THEY must be right.

> -- If they can't be run privately, that means that
> there's some
> combination of

They can't be run privately because it was a botched privitisation scheme conceived to give Labour a poison pill. Prior to that they had been under funded. No reason why they had to, except the treasury seems to think that spending money is wasteful.

> So who really wants it? Or do they want it in the
> sense that they want
> safe streets and clean air? If they want it, what
> makes it politically
> infeasible for the government to provide it?

Well for a start commuters to London, seeing that commuting by car is not a realistic alternative. So we're talking about a group that includes popular middle brow journalists, investment bankers and lawyers. The rest of the rail network may, or may not be feasible (we've never really tried to find out) - but the links to London are essential. And they're the most broken part at the moment.

Cian