Ratner on international law

Mark Pavlick mvp1 at igc.org
Sun Jan 13 21:24:42 PST 2002

1) Michael Ratner has his own page:

http://www.humanrightsnow.org/

2) On WWII analogy, see the Tim Wise article I've posted.

On the contempt US leaders have for international law, see Phyllis Bennis - Calling the Shots: How Washington Dominates Today's UN (Interlink, 2000) and Noam Chomsky - Rogue States: The Rule of Force in World Affairs (South End Press, 2000).

http://www.interlinkbooks.com/

http://www.southendpress.org/

3) On non-UN "international tribunals":

"James Shea, when asked about the possibility of NATO liability in news conferences in news conferences in May 1999...replied that "NATO is the friend of the Tribunal...NATO countries are those that have provided the finances to set up the Tribunal, we are among the majority financiers". He was "certain" that the Prosecutor would only indict "people of Yugoslav nationality". - A New Generation Draws the Line: Kosovo, East Timor, and the Standards of the West - Noam Chomsky (Verso, 2000), p. 132.

See also the chapter "War Crimes" by Mirjana Skoco and William Woodger in Degraded Capability: The Media and the Kosovo Crisis - ed. Philip Hammond and Edward Herman (Pluto, 2000):

MP