Q: lingua franca today

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Jan 14 10:05:35 PST 2002

I'd written a security reporter with a section in it on router attacks, geared toward techs and the executives in an IT dept:

"The border gateway protocol (BGP) is a critical component of the Internet's routing infrastructure. It serves as a lingua franca between routers made by different manufacturers. When a company needs to move information from Manhattan to Milan in the click of a mouse, routers speak BGP to one another in order to move network traffic without losing it. "

upon review, someone--an executive in the IT dept--wrote to ask what lingua franca meant in geek speak. he thought it was a contemporary phrase from the geek world.

so, i thought i'd stick a little sidebar/call out box in the report with a brief history of the phrase.

what exactly do we call the corporate english that is the lingua franca of Empire, its clients, and those who've not yet/are resisting throwing themselves beneath the juggernaut?

corporate english? business english?