Science, Science & Marxism: A Last Word From me

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Mon Jan 14 11:14:44 PST 2002

Ian wrote:

> Well that's pure bunk because W admitted he couldn't plow
> through more than 20 pages of H when he had to stop because
> it was an inpenetrable fog.

There's at least one additional unstated premise here Ian, namely that the only access Whitehead had to Hegel's concepts was Hegel's books. As Whitehead himself points out, however, he had other very good sources for Hegel's ideas e.g. Haldane and McTaggert. As I pointed out earlier, Russell acknowledged that it was Whitehead who persuaded him that he was mistaken about Hegel's idea of internal relations. Unlike Popper though, Russell (like Ian?) could never give up his ontological atomism. "I [Russell] am persuaded that the world is made up of an immense number of bits, and that, so far as logic can show, each bit might be exactly as it is even if other bits did not exist."

Ted