Monbiot on Greens

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Mon Jan 14 19:41:11 PST 2002

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> I think it's also necessary to make the class-war source of
> environmental destruction completely explicit -- it's implicit
> in what you say above, but apparently this analysis hasn't
> gotten through to a lot of people, hence Monbiot's belief that
> bourgeois regulation is _the_ solution to environmental
> destruction even in the face of the ease with which it has
> just been bought off and betrayed.

Exactly. It would help if there was more debate within environmentalist circles. I'm willing to bet that the different tendencies keep to themselves without any kind of overlap. The recent attempt by some Congresscritter to get mainstream environmental groups to denounce ELF is an interesting example of this dichotomy.

It also stands to reason that there needs to be a more critical class analysis of the mainstream environmental movement. This could stretch from the class composition of green NGOs, to their agenda, to the fact that many of them are exploitative non-unionized workplaces.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).