that rotten old constitution

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 15 07:44:19 PST 2002

[I forwarded John Mage's remarks to Constitution-hater Dan Lazare, who responds...]

From: Dhlazare at aol.com Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:22:53 EST

Doug:

John Mage should reread Art. V, the final clause of which states that "no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate." Since any state can veto any deviation whatsoever from the principle of equal state suffrage, abandoning this provision would require the approval of not just three-fourths of the states, the case with ordinary amendments, but the approval of all fifty. Given the unlikelihood of Wyoming, Vermont, the Dakotas, et al. are no more likely to surrender this all-important constitutional privilege than the French aristocracy was to give up their const'l privileges prior to 1789, there is simply no way this can happen under the present constitutional regime.

Not that various scholars have not tried to figure out ways around this problem. While the wording seems clear and unambiguous, it has been argued that the clause itself could be removed via the normal two-thirds/three-fourths rule. But then Akhil Reed Amar, the Yale constitutional law prof, has argued that based on the Preamble, "we the people of the United States" could remove the two-thirds/three-fourths rule through a simple majority vote. But whether the issue is Art. V in whole or in part, any attempt to end-run the Constitution in this manner would itself amount to such a marked departure from established constitutional principles as to constitute a revolutionary break. With the right wing rising in defense of the Constitution and the left rising against the uprising, it would be a signal for civil war, just as it was in 1860-61. While the Constitution has no ends of things to say about who has power UNDER the Constitution, it has no answer as to who, if anyone, has authority OVER the Constitution. Merely to ask is something of a revolutionary act.

Dan.