Soviet Union better than Yeltsin

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Jan 15 10:36:44 PST 2002

RE: Soviet Union better than Yeltsin

I rather liked this article, though it is soooooo obviously written by a Westerner. Every single thing about the USSR was awful, you see (free vacations to the Black Sea! Free daycare! The horror!) so, accordingly, anybody nostalgic about the Union must have had his or her views "tinted" by "upheavals," a priori, or they are just pining for their youth or have been brainwashed by Communist propaganda. We're supposed to believe people in the USSR just HATED the cradle-to-grave social security net. Yeah, right.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal

^^^^^^^

CB: Free higher education, free health care, no unemployment were unpopular too, no doubt.