Free anti-virus program

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Tue Jan 15 17:20:03 PST 2002

Kevin Robert Dean <qualiall_2 at yahoo.com> asks:

> Speaking of Viruses (Viri?) , does anyone know a good
> *FREE* anti virus program? Everything I download
> requires you to buy it and I don't have a lot of
> money.

I declare "viruses" to be English. "Viri" if you want to speak Latin.

More seriously, I like Fridrick Skulason's F-Prot. You can get it free from garbo or a simtel site. His company is based in Iceland so I hope his company can resist the FBI's pressure to ignore viruses, Trojan horses, planted by the FBI.

http://garbo.uwasa.fi/

Its disadvantage is that it is DOS based, so that you have to remember to run it periodically. However it does have a program FPROTW, which runs as a Windows daemon. I never use it though.

F-PROT is highly recommended. You do have to remember to keep it up-to-date.

-- John K. Taber