Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Jan 16 10:13:43 PST 2002

Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

"Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org> Subject: Re:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us>

- - As I said once before, if the Old Left was a failure, and the New Left was a failure, why are

-you on the Left ? What successes are you basing your strategy for the anti-war movement on ?

I'm definately not a leftist for the foreign policy orientation of the CP

^^^^^^

CB: So are you saying you would have supported the U.S. and other imperialists countries invading the Soviet Union in 1919, U.S. economic blockade of the SU after the invasion was defeated, U.S. troops in Nicaragua in the 1920's, no war against the Nazis after the invasion of the SU, U.S. war on Korea and Viet Nam, invasion of Cuba contras in several countries in the eighties , oppose the colonial national liberation movements of the 50's , 60's and 70's nuclear arms escalation ? If not, you would be agreeing with much of CP's foreign "policy" positions over its history.

^^^^^^

or the success of the anti-Vietname movement;

^^^^^^^^ CB: So are you saying you disagree with the positions of the Old and New Left on substantive issues , or agreeing with some positions , but saying that those lefts failed to succeed in winning the U.S.over to their positions ?

I'm a leftist for the desires and success of the left around the union, civil rights, civil liberties, feminist and other domestic movements. The Left has chronically splintered over connecting its domestic policy to foreign policy mobilizations.

^^^^^^^

CB: Are you saying that the Old Left, especially the Communist Party, had significant successes in some domestic issues ?