Spinning Saudi Arabia

Scott Martens sm at kiera.com
Wed Jan 16 13:05:24 PST 2002

There is a really enlightening article in today's (Brussels) Le Soir about the motivations and contradictions about Saudi Arabia and its policy with regard to other religions. It casts some light on why so much fuss should be made about US troops in Saudi Arabia. It's on their website at http://www.lesoir.be/articles/A_0210D3.asp , titled "Reopening dialog with Muslims: 'Intolerance is in flagrant contradiction to the Koran'" (Rouvrir le dialogue avec les musulmans: "L'intolerance est en contradiction flagrante avec le Coran") It consists of an interview with a Belgian islamologist and an author named "Ali Daddy" who I presume from the text is a Muslim.

(My translation - quick and dirty and without my trusty Petit Robert, so please excuse errors in translation.) ------ Interviewer: Is it allowed to build temples or Protestant churches, for example, in Islamic territory?

Ali Daddy: If in the majority of Muslim countries freedom of worship is guaranteed, as per the Koran, it isn't so everywhere. Thus, in Saudi Arabia, the authorities have put forward the idea that their whole kingdom is sacred ground. (...) An ad hoc committee brought up this issue with the Saudi ambassador in Paris and then sent a petition to King Fahd demanding that he loosen those restrictions on religious freedom. The response came from Sheik Abu Bakr, chairman of the Islamic Orientation department at the University of Medina: "Far from being a sign of deep intolerance on the part of Saudi royal authorities, the interdiction (against non-Muslims from practicing their faiths) in fact comes from the Islamic idea that the entire territory of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is considered (by Islam) to be a mosque where two religions cannot coexist." ------

Ali Daddy goes on to make a theological case against such a conception.

However, if such a belief is genuinely widely held in Saudi Arabia, it goes a long way towards explaining the vehemence of bin Laden against the US and the Saudi monarchy, and why he might have such wide support among the rich and powerful in Saudi Arabia. It is one thing to accept the right of another culture or religion to exist, but it is quite another to accept their presence - armed - in your place of worship. This interview suggests that for some people a US presence anywhere in Saudi Arabia is exactly as offensive as if the US had taken over Mecca and Medina themselves.

Under such circumstances, a US withdrawal under any fig leaf might actually serve to make things better.

Scott Martens

-----Original Message----- From: Guilherme C Roschke <groschke at luminousvoid.net> To: Lbo-Talk at Lists. Panix. Com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 9:31 PM Subject: Re: Spinning Saudi Arabia