The case against conspiracy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 16 14:30:14 PST 2002

Chip Berlet wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This is Wednesday. I like Cockburn on Wednesdays. On Thursdays I
>think he is a pompous conspiracist. On Mondays I think he is a nasty
>brute. The rest of the time I think he is an entertaining writer.

Yup, Ace is a Pearl Harbor conspiracist.

Doug

----

<http://ww2.antiwar.com/cockburn/pf/p-c060801.html>

Left Coast by Alexander Cockburn Antiwar.com

June 8, 2000

Things You Can't Say in America FDR knew about the attack on Pearl Harbor

John Flynn made a sound case for Roosevelt's foreknowledge in 1946. Relying on public documents, the historian Charles Beard did it magisterially in 1948, with his FDR and the Coming of the War 1941. John Toland wrapped it with Infamy in the early 1980s. John Stinnett made the case all over again a year ago with Day of Deceit. I can guarantee to you that about five years down the road, after the National Archives have released another truckload of documents, someone will be triumphantly writing that the case has "finally been made," and someone else will be whining that "once again the conspiracy mongers are at work."

There's no mystery as to why this should be. As Flynn and Beard both understood, FDR's manipulation of the attack on Pearl Harbor goes to the very heart of executive abuse of the warmaking power. Not matter how mountainous the evidence, the case will always officially be "non proven," "a conspiracy theory."

----

<http://www.nypress.com/14/23/news&columns/wildjustice.cfm>

Wild Justice Alexander Cockburn

FDR Knew It Was Coming

Pearl Harbor the movie offers fresh opportunity for those who correctly believe that Roosevelt knew of an impending attack by the Japanese and welcomed it as a way of snookering the isolationists and getting America into the war.