litigation and politics

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jan 17 03:22:19 PST 2002

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Heer, Jeet wrote:

> Toobin's comments strike me as historically short-sighted. Did liberals
> invent judicial activism? What about all the conservative decisions of the
> 19th and early 20th century, upholding segregation and striking down social
> reforms? The period from the 1950s to the early 1970s was only a small
> liberal island in a sea of judicial conservatism, I would argue.

Our own Nathan Newman made the same argument with telling detail in an excellent article he circulated about six months ago, where he argued that judicial activism always structurally favors the right, and that even the left's greatest victories with it -- like abortion -- not only would have been attainable without it, but would have been deeper and more long lasting for it. Have you published that paper yet, Nathan?

Michael