delicate times for the left

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 13:36:04 PST 2002

>From: "Ian Murray" <seamus2001 at attbi.com>
>
>Did the left lose the war?
>
>Kabul fell in five weeks. The Islamic world has not
>erupted. So did the left get it all wrong - and does it
>matter?
>
>Andy Beckett
>Thursday January 17, 2002
>The Guardian
>
>... These are delicate times for the left, in Britain and
>elsewhere. First, two of its traditional enemies, the
>Pentagon and New York's financial district, were bloodily
>assaulted. Then, the leaders of this revolt against
>American dominance of the world were revealed, almost
>certainly, to be religious radicals of considerable
>ideological ambiguousness. Then the traditional instruments
>of American oppression in the eyes of its critics - bombing
>and the use of dubious allies - were deployed in response,
>with apparent success. And a solid majority of the British
>public approved, as did the great majority of
>left-of-centre politicians in Britain and abroad.

As Beckett says, ObL & Co. are "religious radicals of considerable ideological ambiguousness" and not surrogates for the left. Al Qaeda's speedy apparent collapse simply clears the decks, permitting the public to focus on issues that bring profound discredit to capitalists -- with Enron being issue #1. In the US at least, I don't see how these are "delicate times for the left."

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx