we don't need no sweetheart contracts

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Thu Jan 17 06:59:29 PST 2002

ah, purchasing complicity. doug, you were sent an enron t-shirt at one point, weren't you?

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 8:41 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: we don't need no sweetheart contracts

[from a piece on Enron's White House connections in today's NYT]

Paul Krugman, an editorial columnist for The New York Times (news/quote), said he was also paid $50,000 to serve on an Enron advisory board in 1999. He disclosed his connection in a Jan. 24, 2001, column about Enron.

"This was an advisory panel that had no function that I was aware of," Mr. Krugman said today. "My later interpretation is that it was all part of the way they built an image. All in all, I was just another brick in the wall."