Talk silenced?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 18 15:35:13 PST 2002

kelley wrote:

>At 05:57 PM 1/18/02 -0500, Seth Ackerman wrote:
>>Kelley wrote:
>>
>>> why? i don't know the inside dope here, apparently.
>>
>>I didn't mean to give the impression that I was at that party. I was using
>>my imagination. (Though I've been to parties like it, e.g. the premiere
>>party for Brill's Content.)
>>
>>Seth
>
>i guess i was asking: what was so important about the party that
>someone ought to write a tom wolfe-like novel about it? just the
>Talk mag thing?

Well it was late 90s celebrity, Tina Brown style, at the peak of bubbly excess, but it was also out of time, since TB is so 80s, and Talk always seemed like a belated VF (as Harold Bloom might say, if he read either). Rumor has it that Brill's analysis is that VF is the best of that genre and it only occasionally makes a little money, so why should a second-rate VF like Talk stay afloat?

Doug