Overpopulation as a myth?

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 20:08:21 PST 2002

Hello folks

On another list I'm on, we got into a pretty heaed discussion about the concept of "Sustainable Populations" as a requisite for a "Sustainable Society", with me taking the position that so called "overpopulation problems" are basically a result of unequal distribution of resources and that advances in technology, ect will help overcome these problems.

I also take the position that requests for people to stop having babies (aside from being an attack on impoverished women) is a pipe dream at best, so concentrating on how to distribute and conserve resources should be the focus.

Does anyone have any good resources to help my cause?

Also the Sustainabiliy campaign seems to believe that "local production for the local people" is the best way, but I believe this to be wrong, and that reliance on localism will run into all sorts of distibution and production problems, but I'm having a hard time finding examples of why that would be true.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com