Yugoslavia

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Sat Jan 19 02:27:15 PST 2002

In trying to look for real world examples to 'test' economic models, I hit upon a country that has always fascinated me, Yugoslavia. It would seem that countries can find far worse ways to fail than in models for economic planning.

For a really good introduction to what happened there post-war, try:

http://www.aspectspositions.org/essays/bianchini.html

Questions for discussion:

Did Yugoslavia enjoy relative success at economic development (despite isolation from the Soviet Union and its satellites) because of centralized planning and government ownership, or was the success due to some sort of mixed model? Or was it for some other reason (western aid because of Tito's anti-Stalinism, but a reliance on which lead to its debt crisis)?

Did Yugoslavia break up because of an economic crisis that was brought about because of a failure at centralized planning? Or was it something else? It would seem that the economic crisis was made worse by crushing foreign debt, made worse by a strong dollar.

Finally,

Slovenia is supposed to be the one country to emerge from the breakup doing the best at recovery. Why? It's not yet a full democracy, is it? It hasn't completely privatized its economy, has it? Is it getting by because of foreign aid from places like Austria? Or are market economics working their magic again?

Charles Jannuzi