The Lomborg war

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sat Jan 19 08:21:57 PST 2002

"Gordon Fitch":
> I meant to note, but forgot, that Lomborg recieved a
> four-author trashing in the most recent issue of the
> _Scientific_American_. The heavy artillery has
> definitely been called in. To recall Uncle Albert,
> you'd think one would have been enough.

Ian Murray:
> Yeah, well considering the right-wing heavyweights that
> endorsed the book, perhaps it was necessary. Hopefully it
> will lead to greater politcal radicalization of scientists
> willing to hear left arguments.....

I don't see why. Lomborg's book takes a position in a struggle between bourgeois factions. I think I pointed out before that unlike most supposedly leftish issues, environmentalism appeals to the bourgeois, the well-off, the authoritarian. Or at least some aspects of it do. As long as you can get a really good job being an environmentalist, I don't see how it's going to radicalize anybody. The most beneficial outcome I can see resulting from Lomborg's book will be a return of attention to physical data (as opposed to simulations and guesswork) which (as I noted before) was missing from public argument in several areas, like global warming and population.

-- Gordon