Central Planning (Napster?!)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sat Jan 19 10:03:34 PST 2002

Thomas Seay wrote:

> --- Chuck0 <chuck at tao.ca> wrote:
> In real life,
> > on the local level,
> > economics is more messy and organic. Albert and
> > Hahnel are trying to
> > advance a pretty alternative to capitalism, but it
> > still reflects an
> > overly technological, Western view of economic
> > activity.
>
> Chuck, what is your vision in terms of this issue?

I would like to see us change to systems that emphasizes cooperation on a local scale. Hopefully things would work out where the amount of work we needed to do to feed ourselves and take care of chores would be minimal on a daily level. My vision is basically an anarchist one, which includes the understanding that our current technological, consumerist society is unsustainable. If people were truly liberated from wage slavery, what would they choose to do? Would they work in a factory making consumer items? Probably not. Would they volunteer to work in a factory making something needed by everybody? Possibly.

I wouldn't rule out some kind of small scale trade, but I think that it is really important to get rid of money and wage slavery. Most importantly, it shouldn't be up to me to decide these things or sell some kind of grand scheme to people. People should have freedom to cooperate.

This is perhaps not the most eloquent vision, but I would stress that we have to avoid pretty systems that pretend that every situation is the same and that every locality is the same as every other one.

Frankly, a world without telemarketers would be a good start.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).