Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sat Jan 19 11:54:40 PST 2002

Miles Jackson wrote:

> Kel hits on the thing that bugs me here: if we keep using the term
> "work" to refer to wage labor, we make invisible a huge amount of the
> social labor that is necessary for our society to thrive, and we take
> the people who do it for granted. "Everybody should work, no shirkers":
> fine, as long as we realize that work is far, far, more than wage labor,
> even in an industrial society.

Of course, there is always Bob Black's "The Abolition of Work," which sums up my feelings and thinking about work. I've also found that Wendell Berry's writings on work to be valuable. There is work of the "wage slavery' variety and work of the variety that meets basic needs and/or is personally satisfying.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).