Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jan 19 13:20:37 PST 2002

Luke Weiger wrote:

> I've always admired Swedish social democracy... My question is, why
should
> we think that we would attain more with an alternate model (in respect to
> social democracy; not liberal capitalism)?

Well, let's imagine the Swedes had gone forward with their plan for wage-earner funds in the early 1980's. That would have marked a pretty sharp break with traditional "social democracy."

Eventually, almost all Swedish firms would have come under the control of the Swedish unions. Investment decisions and workplace arrangements could have been democratically determined by the workers themselves. Conceivably, working life and broader social development would have been much more responsive to human needs.

Seth