lefties stop your whining

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Sun Jan 20 06:17:57 PST 2002

> Peter Hain
> Sunday January 20, 2002
> The Observer
>
> On Afghanistan, I still see banners saying, 'Stop the War'. I
> have seen no apologies from critics who relentlessly predicted
> reckless US escapades, failure and mayhem - no suggestion that it
> might, after all, and despite all the problems, have been the
> correct course. Such critics have turned a blind eye to the
> liberation of millions of Afghanis from the al-Qaeda backed
> Taliban, probably the most odious regime in the world.

Yes, things are surely much better now. Fer instance:

<quote>Judge Zarif makes it clear that the ultimate penalty will remain in force for adulterers, both male and female. They would still be stoned to death, Zarif told the French news agency, "but we will use only small stones."</quote>

Source: http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?ItemId=12602

Also, how clever--to turn such a phrase as "critics [turning] a blind eye." It allows one to completely ignore the fact that these critics often criticize how everyone else has turned a blind eye to the death-by-bombing of thousands of innocent Afghanis. Oh, I forgot, that's merely 'collateral damage.'

Cheers,

// mark