Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 10:34:25 PST 2002

>given the pro-industrial pro-modern-world position of most of the posts
>on this thread (a kind of russellian pooh-pooh'ing of primitivism?) i am
>curious about what folks think about bodley's work on tribal people (for
>eg his interesting book: victims of progress) who, if he is to be
>believed, lived a life without these factories and fancy medical
>devices, that seem to be inalienable, in a sustainable manner.
>
> --ravi

I've read Marshall Sahlins too. It's very nice if you want half your kids to die before the age of 5 and you yourself don't mind being old at 30 and dead at 45 of diseases that could be be avoided by vaccination or cured by antiobiotics, or just plain starvation. Anyway, you ever hear about not being able to go home again?

jks (a big fan of modern technology, especially anesthetics)