Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:48:28 PST 2002

>From: kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net>
>
>the other problem is enforcing your desire carl. how much would it be
>perceived as scutt work. how many people would try to get out of doing it?
>maybe i'm wrong, but don't people in sweden, etc try to get out of paying
>their taxes? why wouldn't they try to get out of loading garbage trucks?
>what levels of enforcement are we willing to accept to make what you're
>suggesting possible--at this wider societal level you've envisioned.
>
>kelley

I think contributing to the public good by sharing onerous labor is what William James called for, the moral equivalent of war. If the sense of we're-all-in-this-together can send people into frenzies of militaristic flag waving and -- in the old days of war, at least -- genuine sacrifice, I would think people in general would willingly do dirty, boring work part of their time if there was a uniform obligation to do so and a clear perception that this effort made for a better world.

Carl