Paperless Ships and Furry Terrors

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Jan 20 17:53:10 PST 2002

i must admit however that i did find the web an easier and more fun interface than gopher or wais. --ravi

--------

Yeah, I wouldn't argue the virtues of the old search engines too strongly. But without any of the commercial graphic bullshit, they sure did work faster.

Anyway, a much more interesting problem is the issue of the OS instruction set. Intel/M$uck has been holding it to 32bit for what something going on ten years? It should have moved to 64bit maybe three to five years ago and now be pushing for 128. Instead the money decided it required less re-tooling to fiddle with speed. But a VW only goes so fast, no matter how much crap you fiddle with.

I suspect that between protecting their bullshit code, and keeping the conceptual realm reduced to consumer trivia, the so-called new economy (lead by high-tech) simply fizzed out---in other words, they shot themselves in the foot.

We should be able to get every fucking channel, of every fucking media, from every fucking broadcast in the world, delivered point to point on a monitor on the desk, right now---and be able to transmit some reduced format version of same where ever we want. Not that I really care. But for those that do, it might be worth reflecting on why that ain't happening anytime soon. The problem isn't technology.

But, going that route, there shouldn't be anybody in the world going to sleep tonight hungry, sick, homeless, and hopeless either.

Paradise, Now, damnit. Demand it!

Chuck Grimes