RES: RES: Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Mon Jan 21 14:43:06 PST 2002

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de Chuck0 Enviada em: segunda-feira, 21 de janeiro de 2002 00:42 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: RES: Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

> Let me add that one of the most important medical advances in the 20th
> century was simply better sanitation.
>
> << Chuck0 >>
>
> -Yes, but you life would be much worse for many people withouth
> "unimportant"
> -things like antibiotics, cancer therapy or anesthesia, just to mention a
> few....
> -A few years ago I had chronic otitis an was submitted to surgery and
> therapy
> -with antibiotics, I had a reasonable chance of dying was I in a wonderful
> -pre industrial society and many of you probably already were in similar
> situations....

My argument was that if you could eliminate the cause of "diseases of civilization" then you could focus on what was really needed to keep people alive with other problems.

-Infections are not diseases of civilization. Chronic degenerative diseases -as cancer and atherosclerosis are largely result of the improvement of -life expectancy, once you don´t die from post delivery complications or -infectious disease, you will surely had one of those "late age" diseases -which in turn need new therapies and so on.....

Alexandre Fenelon