Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon Jan 21 14:28:06 PST 2002

Chuck0 wrote:
> ravi wrote:
>>but do you not consider better sanitation a sort of
>>technological advance and that leads us, from what i read in doug's
>>pragmatic reasoning, to accept those technologies that, at least at
>>first look, are beneficial?
>>
> Yes, better sanitation is a technological advance. It's also a positive
> advance of scientific knowledge, which is based on the germ theory of
> disease. It's not like we would lose this scientific knowledge if we
> significantly changed our living patterns.
>
> But then, improving sanitation can be a low tech thing that is feasible
> in a world without high tech capitalism.

so what about the benefits that high tech brings? lot of folks are responding with examples of how their own lives were saved by high tech medical equipment... how do you address that?

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> I don't know about Lewontin, but I've read descriptions of
> elaborate water and sewage systems which existed in the ancient
> world.

my own post was based on the foggy memory of high school history which included glowing descriptions of the sewage systems of the ancient harappa and mohenjadaro civilizations of the indus valley.

--ravi