Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Tom Wheeler twbounds at pop.mail.rcn.net
Mon Jan 21 16:43:58 PST 2002

From: "Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema" <crdbronx at erols.com>
> Pre-modernity also meant people didn't bathe and had untreatable
> dermatological problems.

I assume this statement applies primarily to Europeans. I recall the pre-modern natives of America thought the Europeans unhygienic. The natives bathed frequently, sometimes several times a day. The "dirty" Europeans ignored methods of personal care used by the natives. The Indian people were remarkably free of disease with the predominant disorders being external injuries, arthritis, digestive disorders and respiratory infections. Cancer, heart disease and nuerological problems were rare. The traditional medicinal practices by the Indians was in some cases quite advanced and apparently held up pretty well until the Europeans arrived with their diseases and poor hygiene. I understand Dr. Frederick Banting, discoverer of insulin, credited Indian medicine in part to his discovery. In the treatment of wounds one of the more interesting aspects of Indian practice was the use of some form of aseptic technique. It was the late 19th century before Europeans learned the necessity of keeping wounds clean. - Tom