Paperless Ships and Furry Terrors

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Mon Jan 21 16:04:44 PST 2002

At 04:37 PM 01/20/2002 -0500, Chuck G. wrote:
>Without the false need for proprietary protection schemes, I would
>guess something like 30-50% of the labor in high tech would
>disappear. We forget that capitalism, hierarchies, authoritarian, and
>managerial control systems demand incredible amounts of labor and
>resources just for their own pointless maintenance.

Speaking as a computer/ware wage slave, I'd say it's more like 70%. Nearly ALL the work I see done (I've worked for Tandem, Apple, Sun among others) is either adding bells and whistles (features) that most people don't want and don't know how to use OR it's putting a little private spin on standard techonology...in order to make a private profit. If this were not the case, if techonology really changed as deeply and that rapidly as it pretends to, I wouldn't be able to do my job.

>I think of it something like the anti-drug laws, the control of
>prescription drugs, and the privatized rationing of medical
>care. Tossing these system alone would probably deflate the prison
>population by what 50%(?), erase the HMO/med insurance business
>entirely (and indirectly cure maybe 20% of all disease), and knock out
>hundred of thousands of meaningless jobs in control and paper
>work. This is the real paperless office---call it saving the trees.

You're reading my mind. There's half a dozen bureaucrats between me and my doctor. This is efficient? Medical care costs go up every year while the care one is actually able to get declines horrifically. AND speak of a bubble that will make the dotcoms and realestate stuff look like a joke. What's going to happen to all these HMO's and insurance schemes when the baby boomers get older and they need substantially more medical care?

Joanna B.