stop, even if you're innocent

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 07:10:18 PST 2002

>Ian wrote:
>

> > [Nathan, Justin, John, comments?]
> >

> > High Court Backs Agent Who Stopped Motorist
> > Ruling: In case of drug smuggling, justices say police need only a
>reasonable suspicion, not
> > evidence of a crime, to pull over a vehicle. [etc]
>

>Hi Ian, here's a comment on the latest from the Supremes shredding what
>little is left of any application of the Fourth Amendment to vehicles.

>From a strictly legal point of view, this decision is disappointiung but not
surprising. There was little expectation of privacy in a car to start with, that goes back a while, as John suggests. The implications of the decision ought not be overstated. The cops still need probable cause, whatever that means in a car, or consent to _search_ the car they've stopped on reasonable suspicion.

I've argued (and won) before a panel he was on
>(Gregorian v Izvestia, 871 F.2d 1515 (9th Cir. 1989), cert. denied, 493
>US 891),

Izvestia, as in the then Soviet newspaper? I'll look it up.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx