Dems: include same-sexers in SS benefits

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 22 09:07:09 PST 2002

Democratic National Committee <http://www.democrats.org/news/releases/rel011902c.html>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 19, 2002 CONTACT: Campbell Spencer (202) 863-8068 Bridget Leininger (202) 863-8039

DNC Urges the Protection and Strengthening of Social Security Historic Resolution Calls for Inclusion of Same Sex Couples

Washington, DC -- The Democratic National Committee (DNC) today approved a resolution urging the protection and strengthening of the Social Security system - and making history by urging that Social Security protections be equally available to same-sex couples and their families.

"Equal protection of our nation's laws is a bedrock Democratic value, and ought to be afforded to all American families," said DNC Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "Same-sex couples know first-hand the unfair and unequal treatment they must bear. Inclusion in our nation's historic Social Security system is an important step towards achieving basic equality. I commend the members of the DNC for their bold leadership today."

The resolution passed by the full Democratic National Committee is a strong statement made by a major American political party urging equality for gay and lesbian families. The resolution builds on the Party's longstanding principles of fairness and inclusion for gay and lesbian Americans.

A recent opinion poll conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation shows that including Social Security benefits for gay and lesbian couples enjoys wide public support. The survey, released in November 2001, confirms that nearly 7 out of 10 Americans support Social Security benefits for same-sex couples and their families.

"My grandfather signed the Social Security Act into law in 1935. Since then, the Social Security system has evolved to best serve our ever-changing nation. The system ought to again be strengthened and made to be inclusive of all of our nations families," said James Roosevelt Jr., DNC At-Large member.