Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:30:43 PST 2002

-0800

>>But again you concede the point. In fact, without a state, people
>>can get pretty large private armies together. Others will respond in
>>kind, and we enter Nozick's grim world of "dominant protective
>>associations," the baddest of which imposes the state and
>>libertarian economics in the end.
>
>If I'm the head of the baddest dominant protective association, why
>the hell should I want to impose libertarian economics? Why not just
>enslave everybody else, including Robert Nozick? What's in it for me?

Well, Nozick would say, that would violate people's rights, and we wouldn't want to do _that_ . . . . But as a matter of fact, my own prediction is that after anarchism we'd end up with the warlordism of The Postman without the nice ending, as I remarked. Because the leader of the DPA woulfd not, in fact, care if he violated anyone's rights. Pay no mind to me, though, I'm just a small-l-liberal small-d-democrat who believes in the rule of law, limited constitutional government, and other boring and unromantic things. jks