Mormons as Marxists (Re: Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Tue Jan 22 18:39:04 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad DeLong" <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu>

-- "Burke ever held, and held rightly, that it can seldom be right toS sacrifice a present benefit for a doubtful advantage in the futureS. It is not wise to look too far ahead; our powers of prediction are slight, our command over results infinitesimal. It is therefore the happiness of our own contemporaries that is our main concern; we should be very chary of sacrificing large numbers of people for the sake of a contingent end, however advantageous that may appearS. We can never know enough to make the chance worth taking. There is this further consideration that is often in need of emphasis: it is not sufficient that the state of affairs which we seek to promote should be better than the state of affairs which preceded it; it must be sufficiently better to make up for the evils of the transitionS"

--John Maynard Keynes