Shakers violate vulgar materialist law

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 14:15:21 PST 2002

>Chris
>
>I found this link
>
>http://www.shakerworkshops.com/sdl.htm

Many thanks for this URL -- I followed the link and wrote to the Shakers at Sabbath Lake to find out how they were getting on, and this is their reply:

*** "At this moment we are five members: 3 Sisters and 2 Brothers. Our ages range from 38 to 74. We received our newest member in May 2001. We are indeed open to new members and have always been so. Our life remains constant and as has always been the case with Shakerism, remains evolutionary. Our basic beleifs and life remain a constant, but trades and activities must remain open to both the times in which we live and the number of members to operate those industries.

"Currently we still maintain a large farm. We have beef cattle, sheep and pigs. We attempt to grow as much of our food as possible. The sheep are also used for their wool. This is turned into yarn which is either marketed directly or made into woven or knit goods by us. We also have a large printing/publishing department, operate a store during the summer, have a large vegetable garden, commerical apple orchard, hay lands, pastures, gravel pits, tree farm,museum and make comestibles for sale as well. Quite a lot for our present numbers, but manageable thank God!" ***

Chris. --

Phone: +44 (0) 1865-286793 Email: <chris.brooke at magd.ox.ac.uk> Web: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~magd1368