Starship Troopers & left infantilism (Re: Carmen Electra with the troops

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jan 22 16:05:38 PST 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Vikash Yadav wrote:

> Verhoeven is not a fascist. As a child, he lived under German occupation
> and his town was accidentally bombed by the Allies.

One of his two most popular movies in Holland was _Soldier of Orange_ (1977), a paean to the heroic suffering of the Dutch resistance. (Interestingly, an American like me considered it a testament to futility and failure. As far as I could see, it was all horrible suffering at the hands of the Nazis, and no victories against them. And the collaborator, while execrated afterwards, did best by his family through the war years. But the Dutch people I was with watched it with a tear in their eye and said it was an historic film that made them proud.)

Michael