Science, Science and Marxism

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue Jan 22 22:43:56 PST 2002

Doug said:
>The U.S. doesn't build TVs.

>Is it really that fair to compare >Soviet TVs with Japanese? Russia >was
once a poor and barely >industrialized country. For all its >many faults - and there were >many - Soviet planning did manage >to industrialize the place to the >point where you'd even think of
>comparing a Soviet TV with a >Japanese one. Do people ever talk >about
Turkish or Indonesian TVs?

This is purely anecdotal, but until about 8 months ago I was using an old Brezhnev-era B&W TV, I think about 25-30 years old. Pretty clunky and you had to fiddle with the dials to get the sound to coincide with the video, but it worked fine, and lasted a generation before it burned out.

Of course, I have no idea what it would have cost at the time it was produced.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal