JEC: World Bank should shift to grants

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Wed Jan 23 07:52:49 PST 2002

Comrade Michael,

I have no "mandate" for the guys. So speaking personally, ...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com>

> So am I right in assuming that you guys are all for the US-proposed shift
> from loans to grants?

No. I'm for the abolition of the World Bank (and IMF). By way of 100% debt cancellation and also reparations (if there's any capital left over to liquidate) to the countries in which the BW twins did most damage. Here, for instance, they funded apartheid to the tune of US$ billions, including loans to the electricity company from 1951-67... at a time apartheid disallowed blacks from having electricity... etc etc

> And therefore with the US, and against all the
> eminent progressive NGOs (and all European governments) who are lined up
> against it?

We do love your irony, comrade!

(Hey, I'll be in NYC on 28 Feb, at Columbia African Studies Institute, defending this line, so come along and fight if you disagree!)